Saturday, February 18, 2012

Learning Leaves... January FMQ Lesson

I'm trying to learn/improve my Free Motion Quilting. The way this is going to happen is by signing on for Sew Cal Gal's Free Motion Quilt Challenge. I haven't (fortunately) done enough FMQ to have developed too many bad habits, so I don't have to "unlearn" a whole string of Bads.

I want to be able to quilt single bed sized quilts down to small bags at home on my Bernina. I practiced a lot on "sandwiches", then went ahead with a lap-sized donation quilt. I like doing leaves! Loopy meander is my second favorite, but leaves really do it for me.

Now that I look at the photo of the small donation quilt I uploaded, MOST of the leaves don't look too bad. There are a lot of loops tucked in there though.
It is a really good feeling to finish quilts to be donated to local charities... I like giving back to the community and making kids smile! Donation quilts use up a LOT of "stash, too.

2 comments:

  1. Leaves do it for me too! In fact, rarely do I buy flowered fabric, but lots with leaves.
    I love how you said you'd finish the quilts when pigs fly. I am a "topper" too. My collection of 100 quilt tops inspired me to get my own long arm. I am not getting many done though. Still rather make a top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the top making myself. I really do have to force myself to finish a quilt,

    Your leaves and loops are lovely! Leaves are my favorite?
    glen

    ReplyDelete